Honey Do Beekeeping Checklist for January
January is a waiting game. It’s generally too cold for bee sightings, but if temperatures reach 50°F, head out and take a look at the hive. Your bees will take any opportunity to use the bathroom. For the most part, this is the month when you should be making plans for the upcoming beekeeping season.
- If temperatures reach 50°F, go hunting for evidence your bees are alive, like bee poop scattered both on the hive and in the area
- Read up on beekeeping history, philosophies, and new techniques
- Do an equipment check and make sure everything’s in order for the next beekeeping season
- Consider whether this is the right year to expand your apiary, and make plans accordingly
- Render any leftover wax from last season
- Use any jars of honey to cook and bake honey-filled recipes